Construction of the Mound was begun in the 1760's by the tailor George Boyd to give him better access to his clients in Edinburgh's New Town from his Old Town shop. Large amounts of waste material from the development of New Town was added to 'Geordie Boyd's Mud Brig' creating a substantial link road. Further more formal development of the Mound begun in 1825 following the foundation of the Royal Institution at its foot.