Skip to content

Page 168 from Ethel Moir Diary, Vol 1

Moir, Ethel, 1916, Document
Page 168 from Ethel Moir Diary, Vol 1
Page 168 from Ethel Moir Diary, Vol 1
Page 168 from Ethel Moir Diary, Vol 1
Library Item
Item no
Page 168 from Ethel Moir Diary, Vol 1
destination is to be, one day it is Voznasensk [Voznesensk], next day Kief [Kiev], next Odessa, it may be Siberia before long! The fact of the matter is, no one knows, a lot depends on how things go the next few days. One thing seems certain, we evacuate from here either Saturday or Sunday & "trek" to Bolgrad the nearest railway station - a matter of 40 or 45 miles - then we must just await our souls in patience till we get further orders.
Our Division is going to Voznasensk [Voznesensk] - to be in reserve there for 3 months, then they will go back to the front in the spring. They got such a hashing up in the The Dobrudja there are
precious few of 'em left. The chances are we will landed in Odessa if there are so many wounded there - however, we must just "wait and see". It will be delightful "on trek" in this weather - December! - however, we'll just have to lump it & be wet & cold, after all it will only be for 2 days, so, "what's the use of worrying..."
Dr. Chesney is going direct to Odessa by boat & then by rail, so she'll miss the trek & the delights of a troop train sojourn. She is going "in advance" to see what they think at headquarters it is best for us to do & we'll either hear at Bolgrad or at Odessa, what our fate is to be. Meanwhile, we are to evacuate
Artist / maker
20.4 x 16.0 cm
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection