The construction of Old College, according to Robert Adam's designs, began in 1789. Adams' death and the beginning of the Napoleonic Wars led to the project being halted in 1792. It was recommenced in 1817 by William Playfair, and work was largely completed by the mid 1830s. It was not until 1887 that the final finishing touch, a large dome similar to that in Adam's original design, was put to the building by Robert Rowand Anderson. This dome was topped with a bronze statue the following year. The building is still used by the University of Edinburgh, housing the School of Law, the Talbot Rice Gallery and parts of the University's administration.
This image is from a travel volume entitled, Dear Auld Reekie produced by The Homeland Association and printed in 1925.